Director Special Events
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About Concern Worldwide US
Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least developed countries of the world. Founded in Ireland in 1968, Concern Worldwide has nearly 4,000 personnel working in 24 countries across the globe. Concern believes in a world where no one lives in fear; where all have access to a decent standard of living and the opportunities essential to a long, healthy and creative life. Our mission is to help people living in absolute poverty achieve major improvements in their lives, improvements that are sustainable without ongoing support from Concern.
Concern envisions a world where no one lives in poverty, fear, or oppression where everyone can exercise their rights to a decent standard of living with equal access to opportunities. We believe in creating a culture of inclusion where everyone feels empowered to bring their full, authentic selves to the workplace. Building a diverse and inclusive team is an absolute necessity to deliver the solutions needed to achieve our core mission, because without promoting justice and equality, we cannot eliminate extreme poverty.
Concern Worldwide US (CUS) is an independent affiliate of Concern Worldwide, with offices in New York, Chicago and Los Angeles. CUS advances the Concern Worldwide mission through mobilizing financial and human resources, as well as influencing and activating networks in the US to elevate programs globally.
Concern Worldwide is seeking a Director of Special Events to join our Development team. The role will be based in our New York City Headquarters. The Director, Special Events will play an integral role in helping us acquire, retain and upgrade our donors through the creation and flawless execution of a portfolio of in person and virtual events.
This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned, creative event planner who is ready to bring new energy, ideas and life into our events as we look to grow the caliber of our events across New York and Chicago and possibly expand them into new markets. You are a self-starter, innovator and skilled project manager who has a positive attitude and thrives on a challenge. You will lead on the strategy and implementation of a portfolio of events, reporting into the Vice President of Individual Giving, and managing a growing events team. The work you will do will help to change lives in the places where change is most needed.
Drive Revenue and Engagement:
- Develop market specific tactics for increasing engagement, registration, and fundraising through consistent metric analysis and leadership of revenue performance meetings.
- Define annual events strategy, consulting with internal stakeholders, to determine objectives, strategies, timeline and revenue goals that will drive income, increase donor retention and reduce costs.
- Oversee stewardship of key event donors and committee members, participating in cultivation and solicitation meetings.
- Work collaboratively with Director of Communications, VP of Individual Giving and VP of Marketing and CEO to develop theme of event, design and print needs, production of speeches, run of show, press, social media strategy for events and event web updates.
- Communicate effectively with a variety of stakeholders including board members and their personal assistants, committee members, staff and volunteers.
- Create and institute metrics to measure effectiveness of events management.
- Identify opportunities to streamline events and drive efficiencies.
- Identify corporate partnership opportunities (sponsorship and in-kind gifts) for events and work closely with Individual Giving team to identify sponsors.
- Develop and maintain accurate expense and revenue budget for events, creating the maximum return on investment and maintaining a low cost per dollar raised.
- Gather competitive event analysis and market research.
- Research and track prospective sponsors, honorees, chairs, co-chairs, honorary chairs, award presenters and other event participants.
- Responsible for continued development of direct reports.
- Conduct regular check-ins to monitor progress, provide feedback and offer guidance.
- Coach and collaborate on goal-setting and professional development plans and conduct performance conversations.
- Speak effectively in public on behalf of Concern Worldwide
Provide leadership and expertise:
- Show a willingness to go above and beyond to get the job done, including working occasional evening events
- Exercise excellent judgment while handling sensitive and confidential information.
- Minimum of 5+ years of related experience including 2 years in a management position.
- Demonstrated success in meeting fundraising goals and generating new funding sources.
- Superior event and project management skills with meticulous attention to detail.
- Passion for events and track record of success in producing large scale events.
- Self- starter and creative thinker.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, written and spoken.
- Ability to analyze metrics and adjust plans based on data.
- Ability to motivate and lead staff.
- Strong collaborator – seeks opinions and input while building consensus.
- Database experience strongly preferred, Salesforce, or other CRM experience preferred; high proficiency in Microsoft Office, Powerpoint and project management software.
- Must be able to work occasional nights, weekends and special events.
- Must be eligible to work in the US.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Concern Worldwide is an international humanitarian organization committed to the relief, assistance and advancement of the poorest people in the least...