Head of Engineering
This job is no longer accepting applications.
About the company:
DEV is the first social network built with Forem, where software developers of all backgrounds and experience levels could connect and share knowledge. It was founded on the idea that the software developer ecosystem needed a true community platform that extended beyond code collaboration tools and troubleshooting forums.
Forem, the open-source software that powers DEV, is a platform established on trust and transparency that does not track users, centralize control, or otherwise hoard user data. As an open-source platform, every line of code is auditable by the community itself. Each community controls its own data, domain, and develops its own brand, with no central authority or internet overlords.
There are currently two offerings:
- Forem Self-Host: free, self-hosted application, support from the community
- Forem Cloud: for enterprise teams, paid hosted application with priority support and professional resources for managing and scaling their community.
Forem has built a decentralized alternative to Facebook Groups, Reddit, etc. They are leading the wave of inclusive social networks by bringing open source to the masses and solving the problems of centralization and consolidation in social media.
What we've been up to:
Forem is backed by Mayfield, a leading firm in the Bay Area, who most recently led an $11.5M round in the company. The team is ~40 people (~25 in Engineering), and is fully distributed around the globe. The team has been fully distributed since 2019.
- DEV is the fastest-growing community for software developers with over 650K registered users, 7M unique monthly visitors, and serving more traffic each month than HackerNews.
- Forem has over 590 contributors and 17k+ GitHub stars.
- DEV: Authentic Founders with a Bold Mission and the Power of Open Source Can Build Industry Defining Companies (Mayfield)
- DEV Raises $11.5M to Be The Premiere Online Community for Software Developers of Every Skill Level (AlleyWatch)
- Blog Post: The Future of DEV
- Blog Post: Introducing Forem Self-Host
Why Join us:
- Massive Market: Social networking and online community continues to be one of the biggest possible markets. Forem has the potential to be an Internet scale business.
- Demonstrated Traction: The Forem community, DEV, has ~700,000 registered developers and reaches more people each month than Hacker News.
- Platform Business Model: Just as Shopify allows anyone to set up their own modern online store, Forem allows anyone to stand up their own independent social network. Forem aligns their business aspirations with the success of their community leaders.
- Creator Driven: Forem allows creators to build more deep and meaningful connections to their audience, a trend that is booming with Substack, Patreon, TikTok/Instagram influencers, etc.
- Enterprise Interest and Access: Over 3,000 organizations like Stripe, Shopify, Twilio, Heroku, Google Cloud, etc. have organically joined DEV. Though the company is early in its Go-to-Market motion, they have direct access to their target customers via DEV, and have already signed deals with New Relic, Snyk, and the Interledger Foundation.
- Compelling Open Source Platform Model: A strong contributing community of ~600 developers and 17k+ GitHub stars.
- Strong Company Mission: To create inclusive communities and empower the independent web.
What we're looking for in the ideal candidate:
- Has managed an engineering organization and scaled the team beyond 50+.
- Can effectively lead and develop talent across seniority levels.
- Has experience managing globally distributed, asyncronous teams.
- Understands how to evolve an organization’s structure and tooling as the company scales.
- Is an energetic, emotionally intelligent, proven leader who can inspire, motivate, develop, and manage a rapidly growing team.
- Works well with Product and Design and is a strong cross-functional collaborator.
- Clear communicator and collaborator: can contribute to direction with the exec team and effectively implement within the team.
- Thrives in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Experience building products with a multi-tenant ecosystem (marketplaces, B2B2C).
- Experience contributing or commercializing open source is a plus.
Your application has been successfully submitted.