Mental Health Therapist I
This job is no longer accepting applications.
UC Davis Medical Center
Mental Health Therapist I
Salary Range: $2,277.60 - $3,005.60 Biweekly
Final Filing Date: 12/07/2021
The role of this position is to provide mental health services for abused/neglected and at-risk children and their caregivers
• Registration or licensure with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, or with the Board of Psychology.
• Master’s degree in psychology, social work, sociology, or other related field.
• Minimum of one-year field placement internship or work experience in a mental health setting providing child therapy.
• Clinical experience and/or lived experience relevant to the provision of mental health services to children with histories of trauma and abuse including an understanding of how symptoms/behaviors may vary according to culture, race, and ethnicity.
• Experience, lived experience, and/or training on issues related to diversity, equity and inclusion including training and experience with diverse populations
• Knowledge and understanding of individual, child, and family development, human behavior, and the influence of culture and values on development and behavior as well as on clinical practice.
• Knowledge of and skills to provide case management, individual, group, conjoint, family, and evidence-based treatments.
• Knowledge of suicidal behavior and skills to assess lethality and develop appropriate treatment plan.
• Knowledge of and ability to effectively use DSM-5.
• Knowledge of child, elder abuse, and domestic violence reporting requirements, and other significant legislation and laws regulating mental health practice, (e.g., Tarasoff, patient confidentiality, etc.) with the ability to make appropriate interventions based on law and policy.
• Good writing, verbal, and planning skills to write clear and concise reports using applicable computer software.
• Organizational skill to organize a variety of concurrent activities, set realistic goals and objectives, plan ahead and meet deadlines without compromising quality.
• Skills to conceptualize clinical situations and demonstrate application of theory in case management and psychotherapeutic responsibilities.
• Knowledge of current treatment literature and its applicability to mental health therapy.
• Verbal and written communication skills to clearly and effectively interact with individuals at all levels within the organization to convey/receive instructions, ask for assistance, and information appropriately and accurately.
• Ability to maintain a positive work culture that supports the mission and goals of the organization including establishing and maintaining respectful, and professional relationships with colleagues from various cultures, diverse backgrounds and gender identities.
• Interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of scope of practice to effectively consult with colleagues and utilize clinical supervision to enhance professional growth and examine clinical work.
• Training in evidence-based treatment protocols such as Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT) and Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
• Bilingual in Spanish
• CA Drivers License
• Unlicensed incumbents must qualify for and maintain a waiver by the State Department of Mental Health (to qualify as a Licensed Professional of the Healing Arts and will practice under a licensed provider, as mandated by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences and the Board of Psychology).
• Position may require travel for work related duties
• Participate in the DMV Pull Notice
• This position may be subject to a criminal background investigation, drug screen, Live Scan fingerprinting, medical evaluation clearance, and functional capacity assessment.
The University of California has implemented a SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) Vaccination Program SARS-CoV-2 Vaccination Policy (ucop.edu) covering all employees. To be compliant with the policy, employees must submit proof of vaccination or a University-approved exception or deferral.
To view full job description and submit an on-line application visit UC Davis Career Opportunities at
Job ID #26554
The University of California, Davis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer
Your application has been successfully submitted.