Consultant [insights + strategy]
This job is no longer accepting applications.
who we are
the magnetic collective is an insight-driven brand consultancy with offices in NYC, London, and San Francisco, with a global footprint thanks to our collective of trusted local partners and subject experts. Our mission is to uncover and develop magnetic ideas – brand ideas, product ideas, and communication ideas – that will meaningfully connect with people and culture. We are hiring for this role in both our London and San Francisco offices.
We gather insights and ideas through qualitative research, talking to people about their lives, their cultures, and their relationships with brands. We do this work across a variety of formats and environments including interviews, group workshops, in home visits, digital engagements, and more.
who you are
We are a team that brings our personality and values to the work that we do. You’re the right fit for the magnetic collective if you are:
- clever, curious, and creative: someone who is resourceful and thoughtful with their work
- energetic, positive, and passionate: a people person who encourages others to open up
- open, honest, and straight-talking: able to be provocative and build a clear point of view
- colorful and fun to work with: a charismatic teammate, embracing an “all-hands-on-deck” start-up culture
the consultant role
As a full-time consultant at the magnetic collective, we expect that you will contribute immediately and meaningfully to our business, culture, and thinking. You will use research and strategy to inform and inspire brand development, innovation, and messaging for some of the world's most exciting brands in tech, media, health & wellness, beauty, fashion, food & bev, finance, and beyond.
Primary responsibilities include…
- research design and practice: converting inquiries into thoughtful and winning proposals, building research approaches, writing discussion guides, and moderating qualitative research
- analysis & interpretation: honing and applying your analytical skills to translate our research conversations into smart, creative, and clear debrief deliverables
- relationship building: acting as a point of contact on assigned accounts. Managing clients, from the proposal stage through final presentations and follow-up.
- ultimately, delivering outstanding strategic work that deepens our client relationships and results in repeated engagement and referrals
Secondary responsibilities include…
New business and strengthening existing client relationships
- identifying worthwhile prospects and business opportunities
- offering your ideas in prospecting activities, new business pitches, and marketing
- helping us stay current on industry trends and intel
- confidently presenting our thinking to new and established clients
- using your voice and talents to promote an environment of curiosity and creativity
- helping us develop proprietary new thinking and techniques in the latest fields of interest for clients (e.g. behavioral economics, influence theory, social media)
- applying your experience and interests into thoughtful POVs (think pieces)
the characteristics of a magnetic collective consultant
Our consultants come from a range of backgrounds, including the worlds of qualitative research, innovation consulting, creative agencies, client-side, and academia.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 2-4 years of experience in consumer insights, brand strategy/consulting, market research, advertising planning, or equivalent in a client-facing or in-house role
- experience with consumer and/or b2b research moderation (e.g. ethnographies, digital research, workshops)
- experience analyzing and synthesizing data to generate insights and inform strategy
- experience working with senior marketing stakeholders in client companies and/or the advertising community
- experience building and delivering presentations, including project proposals and strategic deliverables
- ability and desire to travel domestically and internationally for research (post-pandemic, up to 25%)
- tech-savvy and design-minded; proficient with Microsoft Suite and Google Drive
- experience with UX research a plus, but not required
- Competitive salary commensurate with experience
- Annual bonus based on overall company performance
- Health, dental, and vision plans
- 401k eligibility after one year of employment, with company contributions
- 20 days vacation + your birthday, plus public holidays and extra time between Christmas and New Years
- Summer Fridays
- Month-long sabbatical after five years of employment
- Generous parental leave policy
- Opportunities for training and development
TMC is an equal opportunity workplace; we celebrate, support, and thrive on diversity for the benefit of our employees, our work, and our communities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
uncovering and developing magnetic ideas