We are looking for a candidate who is inspired by our mission-driven work and wants to contribute to a nonprofit organization at the forefront of many of the most pressing progressive policy battles facing our country.
Demand Progress, a 501(c)(4) project, and Demand Progress Education Fund, 501(c)(3) project, are sister organizations focused on challenging concentrated power and striving for a more robust democracy and justice for ordinary citizens. With a current team of 15-20 employees and contractors, these entities are ready for their next phase, after a decade of successful advocacy and expansion. To date, Demand Progress and Demand Progress Education Fund have been fiscally sponsored, and are now in the process of transitioning out of fiscal sponsorship and building the infrastructure for independent 501(c)(4) and 501(c)(3) entities.
In close coordination with the director of operations, executive director, and outside consultants, the operations manager will play a role in helping support two phases around this transition:
Phase 1 — Help establish operational infrastructure to ensure a smooth transition
- Assist with transition to a professional employer organization (PEO) that will house and support HR, payroll, and benefits
- Help establish financial infrastructure and help manage relationship with our financial accounting partners during this phase
Phase 2 — Support work to sustain and grow operational infrastructure after the transition
- Help oversee day-to-day personnel management, financial management, and compliance
What we're looking for:
- 3+ years of related professional experience
- Experience with, and enthusiasm for, establishing, improving and implementing operational systems and processes
- Solid skills and experience with financial, HR, and compliance management
- Flexibility and an attention to detail, with a track record of managing multiple priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and ability to work in a team setting
Salary: Salary will be determined commensurate with experience, and will be in the range of $70,000 - $90,000.
Benefits: Demand Progress Education Fund offers excellent benefits such as employer-paid health insurance, a 3% retirement match and 3% employer retirement contribution, 3 weeks vacation (plus the week between Christmas and New Years), parental leave, travel expenses, and short and long term disability insurance. This position is considered exempt for overtime purposes.
Location: This is a remote position. Once safe, travel may be required for meetings.
How to Apply: Please submit a resume and short cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Specific areas the operations manager will help oversee and manage include
With the professional employer organization (PEO) and director of operations, the operations manager will help:
- Serve as a point of contact with the PEO
- Support hiring processes
- Help team members draft and post job descriptions
- Help manage onboarding and offboarding
- Help ensure necessary employee benefits are in place
- Maintain the organization’s employee handbook
With an outside accountant, auditor, and director of operations, the operations manager will help:
- Support budgeting and financial planning
- Oversee day-to-day accounting
- Ensure expenses are recorded to correct account code
- Review financial reports and bank statements with accountants for accuracy
- Work with accountant to ensure timely payment of vendors and issuance of 1099s
- Support the annual audit and 990 tax filing
- Work with accountants and senior leadership to help prepare donor financial reports
Legal & Compliance
With legal counsel, executive director, and director of operations, the operations manager will help oversee:
- Contract process with vendors, including drafting contacts and maintaining contracts tracker
- Compliance with federal and state registration and reporting
- Annual insurance renewal process
Demand Progress Education Fund is a project of New Venture Fund (NVF), a 501(c)(3) public charity that incubates new and innovative public-interest projects and grant-making programs. NVF is committed to attracting, developing and retaining exceptional people, and to creating a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding and enables each of us to realize our potential. NVF’s work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, and all other classifications protected by law in the locality and/or state in which you are working.
Your application has been successfully submitted.