Deputy Senior Director of Development - Individual Giving
This job is no longer accepting applications.
ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization. As a national online force driven by 7 million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more human and less hostile world for Black people in America. We activate our members to take action on crucial issues — from criminal justice to media representations to the social safety net and voter freedom — so that we can build the power necessary to transform the written and unwritten rules of society. Our work – both rapid response and long-term campaigns for change –amplifies the voices of Black folks and our allies, building power and delivering meaningful wins that create consequences for racial injustice and build momentum for implementing solutions that move Black people and all people forward.
The Development Team of Color of Change (COC) ensures there are sufficient resources for COC to remain a powerful influencer across broad segments of the progressive movement. We are creative and passionate professionals committed to excellence in the pursuit of Color of Change’s mission. We are committed to racial equity in America and building an effective, unapologetic, and unrelenting opposition-- built to win media wars and win back hearts and minds; block destructive policies from taking effect; mobilize missions of people to define the majority, and ultimately govern the country. We do this by driving COC’s resource development strategy and infrastructure, to advance the Color of Change mission.
The Deputy Senior Director of Development- Individual Giving is an essential member of the development team responsible for:
- Leading and managing the individual donor program
- Serving as chief strategist for major and principal donors, including donors at the 5-, 6-, and 7-figure levels
- Supporting COC leaders and Board in their major donor fundraising efforts
- Managing a discrete portfolio of donors.
The individual donor program solicits and stewards relationships with individuals across our c3, c4 & PAC.
This position will report to the Sr. Development Director and will supervise the Sr. Manager of Individual Giving.
A competitive applicant will possess a deep commitment to and understanding of current social justice issues that intersect racial, media, economic, criminal, gender, and climate justice. Applicants should have prior experience working within a structured and effective development department and bring an entrepreneurial approach both to their career path and development work.
Lead and Manage Individual Donor Program
- Design, implement and manage a comprehensive, proactive development plan for individual giving, with a focus on expanding and enhancing major and principal donors.
- Serve as a chief strategist; implement strategies to further refine solicitation and stewardship strategies by individual donor segmentation.
- Ensure prospect research efforts are advancing major and principal donor identification and strategy.
- Execute an annual communications plan and calendar for individual donors
- Implement appropriate cultivation and stewardship opportunities to deepen engagement with current and prospective donors
- Manage a team of X, providing mentorship, professional development and annual performance reviews.
- Guide and lead the Individual Giving Team (IGT) in identifying, cultivating, soliciting and managing stewardship of individual donors and donor prospects. Including leading event logistics, prospect research, prospect qualification, and donor stewardship
- Collaborate and problem solve with IGT on increasing recruitment, retention and renewal of key donors
- Make recommendations for additional investments in the Individual Giving Program commensurate with growth opportunities
- Lead system upgrades to drive our prospect research and donor cultivation and stewardship efforts
- Perform comprehensive ongoing data analysis and evaluation related to all aspects of the annual giving program
- Ensure individual giving fundraising activity and interactions are accurately and regularly stored in donor databases and information systems and acknowledgment letters are generated in a timely matter
Planning & Reporting
- Establish and meet annual goals including, dollars raised, renewal percentages, and donor pipeline development for individual donor portfolio
- Partner with Sr. Director of Development to:
o Reconcile contributions from individual donors and update projections
o Develop budgets and monitor expenses related to the individual giving program
- Lead special projects as needed.
Supporting COC Leaders and Board
- Support the President, Senior Development Director, Vice President/Chief of Campaigns, and key Board leaders in their fundraising efforts
- Continually refresh and prioritize leadership portfolios to ensure strategic deployment of key leaders
Managing a portfolio of donors
- Communicate effectively with major and principal small & mid-level offline individual donors through written outreach.
- Manage a portfolio of 25-30 major donors
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS:
- A Relationship Builder. You are genuinely curious about new people and possess strong listening skills. You like learning what motivates people, what inspires their generosity, and what makes them feel appreciated. You have the ability to initiate, organize and manage projects, and to interface successfully with colleagues in a collaborative approach.
- Persistent and Optimistic. You are intrinsically motivated and undaunted by ambitious goals. You have the creativity and tenacity to find your way around a “no” answer to a more productive “not right now,” “maybe,” or best yet, “yes.”
- Exceptional in Communicating Verbally and in Writing Demonstrated ability to write and edit persuasive materials including successful appeals, proposals, stewardship materials, and other collateral. You have excellent presentation and negotiation skills.
- Intentional- Your working style is about creating order and planning ahead. You are a strategic thinker who always has their end goal in sight – asking for and closing gifts. You are skilled at keeping yourself on track with a portfolio of donors and are highly organized.
- An Organizational Maven- You can manage across multiple work streams and functions, keeping deadlines and managing complexity by simplifying solutions, systems, and processes with clarity and attention to detail. You have the ability to efficiently initiate and complete multiple tasks on time.
- Adaptable and Flexible- You can handle any curveball, and in fact, you expect them. You can meet deadlines and manage competing priorities. Additionally, you are strategic and have the ability to pivot quickly as priorities shift and the team continues to take shape. You can and are willing to travel if needed.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
- Professional Experience: You have (12) twelve years of professional experience, with at least (6) six being in development-related activities and (3) three years of experience leading and managing a team. You have a proven track record initiating, stewarding, and moving individual gifts to higher levels of support.
- The Ability to Execute on Fundraising Plans and Strategies That Generate Significant Results. You regularly use data to drive decision-making and reflect on your rigorous and donor-centered plans for sustaining and growing your donor base and revenue. You have strong prospect research skills and a solid understanding of moves management.
- Mission Alignment: You have enthusiasm, familiarity, and demonstrated alignment with Color of Change’s mission and campaigns and also a commitment to building/ deepening your commitment to racial justice. You are steadfast in your support of COC’s long-term sustainability and are committed to a career with impact.
- Willingness to travel: You are open to travel 20-25% annually.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should click the "Apply for this position" link and submit a resume and COC-specific cover letter. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
The salary for the Sr. Deputy Director of Development is $140,000. Color of Change offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including generous vacation and holiday schedules and medical, dental, and disability insurances.
Color Of Change is an equal opportunity employer. Color Of Change prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.