New Verticals Manager
Whatnot (YC W20) is a livestream shopping platform and marketplace backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Y Combinator, and CapitalG. We’re one of YC’s top companies and one of the fastest growing marketplaces ever. We’re laser focused on creating an exceptional software company, team, and place to work. You can read our principles here.
Our mission: enable anyone to turn their passion into a business and bring people together through commerce. We’re building the future of ecommerce; an interactive community where creators can make a living off their passion.
Did we mention we’re high growth? In January, Whatnot was 10 people. Today, the Whatnot team is approaching 100 and will exceed 120 by year end. We’re hiring forward thinking problem solvers across all functional areas. We recruit thoughtfully, can adapt quickly, and are scaling fully remotely.
📈 Opportunity Size
The ecommerce experience has been static for 20+ years and is one of the largest opportunities for disruption in the startup space today. Livestream shopping is a $170B GMV market in China and has grown 100% YoY. Retail is a $5T market opportunity!
🏎 About the Go-to-Market Team
The Go-to-Market team at Whatnot is responsible for the expansion of our category suite and the continued growth of sellers and buyers on the platform. As a New Verticals Manager, you’ll be responsible for identifying, launching, and fully owning all sides of new high-potential product verticals.
- Conduct market analysis and scope opportunities for new product categories on Whatnot
- Become ingrained in new category communities, becoming our expert on the nuances of products, seller/buyer dynamics, and existing community channels and influencers
- Build and execute on a pipeline of flagship sellers and influencers to ensure strong launch supply in your category
- Devise events and campaigns to generate buzz in your category, acquire new buyers, and ensure healthy demand as the category develops
- Once established, help build out a category team and transition to a new vertical
Curious about who thrives at Whatnot? We’ve found that low ego, a growth mindset, and leaning into action and high impact goes a long way here.
- You have 2 - 4 years of experience working in a fast-paced, client-facing role, and a track record of working quickly and iteratively
- You are scrappy and flexible enough to work in a fast-paced startup environment with ambiguity and limited guidance
- You are a problem solver with strong project management skills and the ability to fully own strategy and execution on both sides of an emerging marketplace
- You have business acumen, are deeply analytical, and comfortable understanding and manipulating data to gain and take action on business insights
🙏 Nice to Have
- Experience at a high-growth startup, marketplace, or creator-focused platform
- Proficiency in SQL
- Passion for creator communities and/or new product categories that are uniquely suited to live ecommerce
- Experience buying and selling in online marketplaces
- Competitive base salary and stock options
- Unlimited Vacation Policy and No Meeting Holidays
- Amazing Health Insurance options including a no premium plan, Dental and Vision Plans with less than $1 monthly employee contribution, and no cost Life Insurance
- 13 Week Parental Leave
- $200 to spend within Whatnot App
- Work from Home Support:
- $3500 expense to buy your computer and at home work station
- $100 weekly expense for Lunch
- $75 monthly expense for Internet
- $75 monthly expense for Cell Phone plan
Whatnot is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity, and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, parental status, disability status, or any other status protected by local law. We believe that our work is better and our company culture is improved when we encourage, support, and respect the different skills and experiences represented within our workforce.
Your application has been successfully submitted.