Director of Communications
Director of Communications
Full time, remote position (EST time zone)
Public Agenda is a mission-focused research and public engagement organization. We seek to strengthen democracy by expanding voice and opportunity for all Americans. We focus on improving democracy itself and the systems and institutions that determine whether the promise of American democracy will be realized in the lives of everyday people—systems such as health care, education, and criminal justice. We discover pathways and tools for change, and we connect what we are learning to individuals and organizations who can put it to use.
Our work sometimes takes the form of research initiatives such as Hidden Common Ground, through which Public Agenda identifies surprising areas of broad agreement among Americans that create the potential for bridging divides in pursuit of a stronger democracy. Public Agenda’s work also takes the form of public engagement efforts such as Cycles of Resilience, an ongoing partnership that supports residents in climate-vulnerable communities as they build shared knowledge and voice to ensure that their interests are taken seriously in policymaking.
The Director of Communications will lead Public Agenda’s efforts to connect our work with audiences who can benefit from and contribute to it. Success for the Director of Communications will show up as (1) growth in the number and range of people who know about and seek out our work, (2) continued strengthening of our already strong reputation for excellence and impact, (3) increasing participation in our programs, (4) and increasing support for the organization.
The Director of Communications will join Public Agenda as we are shaping a new strategy to build on our strengths and engage new constituencies; the Director will play a central role in developing the communications dimension of that strategy. For Public Agenda, communications is essential to the achievement of our mission, as our work has value only insofar as it connects with people who can put it to use. Thus, the Director of Communications will be a crucial partner for our programmatic teams as well as our development staff.
Areas of responsibility include strategic communications planning, brand stewardship, development and execution of communications campaigns, program marketing, media relations, internal communications, and management of day-to-day channels—website, social media, direct email, and internal communications. The Director of Communications reports to the President and coordinates closely with the Director of Development and senior program staff.
- Develop communications strategy to support the organization’s mission and goals, including defining key messages, identifying and building audiences, and selecting appropriate channels.
- Engage local and national reporters in healthcare, education, democracy, and other areas relevant to Public Agenda’s work in order to place stories about our projects.
- Develop communications content for Public Agenda’s channels
- Work closely with program staff to communicate programmatic opportunities to relevant audiences.
- Work closely with project staff to develop and implement communications plans for report releases and other announcements.
- Work with Development staff to create communications and dissemination strategies for proposals and gather materials and data to report on grants and donor campaigns.
- Work with senior leadership to develop content and reports as needed for board meetings and overall communications strategy regarding the board, funders, and other high-level stakeholders.
- Directly supervise a full-time communications associate who manages the website and social media day-to-day and creates regular communications and promotional materials for external audiences.
- Masters in Communications or equivalent experience
- Significant leadership experience in communications in a mission-driven organization
- Experience developing and executing strategic vision for organizational communications
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Collaborative spirit and capacity to work effectively with colleagues of diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experiences
- Personal commitment to a strong and healthy democracy
- Personal commitment to an inclusive and equitable workplace
- Problem-solving orientation
- Existing relationships with journalists in relevant fields
- Prior experience in web development projects
- Experience communicating research findings to general audiences
This position is remote. Contingent on local availability and other factors, Public Agenda offers support for employee use of shared workspaces in their areas. Candidates should be available to travel to New York City for quarterly meetings.
Public Agenda offers competitive salary and benefits.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the individual(s) assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required. Management reserves the right to modify, add, or remove duties and to assign other duties as necessary. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
Our organization is committed to equal employment opportunity and diversity in the workplace. We will not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis [“protected class”] including, but not limited to: veteran status, uniform service member status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic information or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.