Lead Strategy and Design Consultant
This job is no longer accepting applications.
PLEASE READ THE FULL JOB DESCRIPTION BEFORE APPLYING
DC Design redesigns America’s social systems like our criminal justice, foster care, healthcare, education, and housing systems to work better for everyone, especially low-income people of color. We’re looking for a Lead Strategy & Design Consultant, which is a social impact strategic consultant who uses Design Thinking.
ROLE: Lead Strategy & Design Consultant - Full Time
LOCATION: SF Bay Area, California; New York, NY; Boston, MA; New Haven, CT; open to other locations in USA
Note: This position is largely remote, with in-person elements + travel once safe.
SALARY: $75,000-$85,000 / year
COMPANY: DC Design
TO APPLY: Apply Here
WHO ARE WE? DC Design is a social impact strategy & design consulting firm. Using Human-Centered Design, our cross-disciplinary team engages the key stakeholders affected by a problem, especially those who have been through that problem themselves, to develop solutions that are validated and long-lasting. We partner with social impact entrepreneurs, foundations, nonprofits, governments and companies to address complex social problems and teach them our methods. We have extensive experience redesigning aspects of poverty-related social systems such as criminal justice, education, foster care, healthcare, and housing.
VISION: Design lasting solutions that reduce systemic inequality in America and help people thrive.
MISSION: To advance the well-being of all people by developing strategies, products, services and curricula that benefit those most negatively affected by flaws in America’s social systems.
STRATEGY: We guide social innovators and organizations to create more effective and long-lasting social impact. All of our work is powered by the belief that we can only create consistent positive change by being in community with those we aim to serve. Through our framework of Multi-Stakeholder Human-Centered Design, we help organizations deepen their community ties and more confidently choose how to apply their limited resources. Our strategy work includes helping organizations better understand the needs of the people they serve through in-depth interviews, surveys, user testing, journey mapping, stakeholder mapping and other methods. We bring expertise in crafting strategic plans, updating missions and visions, and developing action plans alongside our clients, such as Santa Clara County’s Office of Reentry Services, to execute on their ideas.
DESIGN: Once a strategy has been identified, we co-develop customized services that are aligned with the needs of the people an organization serves. The apps and services we design are tailored through iterative prototyping rounds to ensure functionality. Apps like the one we developed for Grail Family Services work in both iOS and Android, and stand the test of time because of our user testing methodology.
EDUCATION: Through our education arm, DC Design University, we offer Design Thinking and social impact education to innovators who want to ingrain the tenets of Multi-Stakeholder Design into their practice. We’ve been trusted by the Obama Foundation, BUILD.org, Central Valley Foundation, and others to teach their stakeholders. Additionally, we offer online courses for social impact innovators interested in entering social impact/design thinking fields or incorporating those methodologies in their work.
The Lead Strategy & Design Consultant will play a pivotal role in the company, working to bring a human-centered design lens to challenging social issues. Through their ability to think critically about complex systems, human needs, and appropriate processes, they will work with clients to redesign products, services, and systems.
The Lead Strategy and Design Consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Strategic planning
- Service design
- Directing App design work
- Social impact curriculum design
- Teaching human-centered design
- End-to-end completion of work needed for client portfolios, including operational tasks
- DC Design systems optimization
- Other needs, as they arrive
This team member will be responsible for consulting with clients on how to better design for those they are serving. They will plan and lead all aspects of design thinking workshops, develop strategic planning processes and then guide clients through them, conduct and synthesize long-form empathy interviews with the people our clients are serving, draft and present recommendations to clients, and otherwise understand client needs, plan how to address them, and execute with assurance. This requires the ability to navigate ambiguity and communicate clearly.
The Lead Strategy and Design Consultant will manage concurrent projects with clients in different social impact fields. Additionally, this person will execute on DC Design operational priorities. DC Design is a small and growing firm in a burgeoning field, and everyone at the company wears different hats at different times. The Lead Designer will be integral to expanding DC Design offerings and adapting to new and exciting needs as the company grows. This might include developing and deploying online courses, supporting operational needs as we implement new internal systems, developing proposals for prospective clients, seeking out new clients or building our business development channels, or otherwise addressing needs that arise. We are looking for a designer with skills in multiple areas to make an immediate impact within the company.
Finally, this person has passion for social impact. Maybe it’s a particular cause, or maybe it's the people you've met and grown up with. Either way, we want to know where your passion comes from and why this work matters to you on a personal level. We work with communities of color, especially Black communities, as well as other communities who have historically been excluded economically and socially. Our work impacts people of color, low income communities, those with disabilities, and a diversity of other communities in need of opportunity. For each member of our team we ask, what lived experience do you have that can contribute to our understanding of America's most challenging issues? What drives you to do this work? And how are you hoping to make a difference with your life?
RELEVANT SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, AND MINDSETS:
- You have a bachelor’s degree or higher in a field like cultural anthropology, African and African American studies, urban planning and urban design, industrial design, mechanical engineering, or graphic design, and at least 2 years professional experience.
- You have a deep understanding of the human-centered design / design thinking process and feel comfortable explaining its nuances. You ideally have experience teaching design thinking.
- You are a demonstrated human-centered problem solver, able to leverage these mindsets to solve real-world problems.
- You have experience in a client service role, especially as a consultant.
- You can work well independently and in a collaborative, team-based environment.
- You are comfortable guiding clients and teams through the design process.
- You have experience in designing products or experiences that have both physical and strategic components.
- You have experience as a project manager, tracking, delegating, managing and successfully completing multiple tasks that may present conflicting deadlines and prioritization. You can manage projects both for yourself and for internal and cross-organizational teams.
- You are a strong writer, and your writing is concise, grammatically correct, and compelling without the need for excessive review.
- You are flexible, able to “keep up” with shifts in priority inherent to a small company.
- You are responsible, punctual, detail-oriented, and you meet deadlines.
- You are self-driven and proactive, with the ability to look ahead and be prepared for the next step -- to notice areas where support is needed and take initiative
- You are curious, with a natural desire to probe further into data.
- You are a strategic thinker, able to zoom out to a “bird’s eye view” and in for a “granular view” as needed.
- You are a team player, demonstrating a “can-do” attitude with a growth mindset and the desire to learn new skills, engage in planning and strategy discussions, voice concerns, take initiative to support team members and ask for help when needed.
- You take instruction well from management and can incorporate feedback into your process without becoming overly defensive.
- You will excel in a remote work environment, with the ability to work independently in an off-site environment with minimal supervision.
- You are self-disciplined with excellent time management skills
- You are self-motivated, self-directed, and willing to go above and beyond to learn new skills, even if they are not in your educational background.
- You have passion for addressing deeply ingrained social problems.
HELPFUL ADDITIONAL SKILLS (Not required but great):
- You speak multiple languages.
- You are a strong aesthetic designer able to combine technical and aesthetic design with strong human-centered values.
- You are a whiz at Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InDesign, etc. and can handle any task thrown your way.
- You have a background or knack for social media strategy, social media analytics, PR, or marketing.
- You have a strong sales background and are willing to do the detailed work necessary to follow-up with and close clients.
- You have strong data science skills, and can suggest new processes for DC Design and our clients, analyze data, and turn that analysis into clear decisions.
SAMPLES OF OUR WORK
- CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM: DC Design worked with Santa Clara County to redesign aspects of their criminal justice system and create their 3-year strategic plan, applying our human-centered design approach to reduce jail recidivism rates.
- REMOVING BARRIERS TO EARLY CHILDHOOD EDUCATION: DC Design worked with a California foundation to understand and address barriers to enrolling in Pre-K among English Learner families.
- EDUCATING YOUNG SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS:
- DC Design created and taught a curriculum for Obama Foundation’s Community Leadership Corps around how to make social change lasting.
- DC Design helped BUILD improve college and career success for high schoolers from under-resourced communities by developing a social impact curriculum teaching them entrepreneurship skills.
- CHANGING THE APPROACH TO EDUCATION:
- DC Design team members frequently teach at Stanford University and around the world. We have created new educational models that demonstrate how learning can directly serve as a tool for good.
- In 2021, we expanded our award-winning Design the Future program from a solely in person program to virtual, with our Design the Future Digital curriculum reaching over 100 students.
- FOCUSING ON FOSTER CARE: DC Design designed and facilitated Hack Foster Care Summit and meetings of the Joint Foster Youth Task Force commissioned by Supervisor Cindy Chavez.
- REDESIGNING HEALTH:
- In collaboration with the American College of Emergency Physicians and the Facility Guidelines Institute, DC Design consulted seasoned architects, doctors, and nurses to redesign emergency departments..
- DC Design put on a nationwide convening hosted by CDC & the CDC Foundation on the topic of veteran suicide prevention, sparking collaboration between organizations dedicated to the cause.
- AND MUCH MORE!
CONNECT WITH US
LINKEDIN: DC Design Ltd
Your application has been successfully submitted.