Senior Associate: Partnership Development
This job is no longer accepting applications.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
Vote Rev, formerly known as VoteTripling.org, is the behavioral design engine for voter engagement tactics. We design and quickly mainstream field-tested voter engagement innovations to help Democrats win. From 2016 to 2020, we developed and quickly mainstreamed a suite of elegant, user-friendly, and non-proprietary tactics that RCTs suggest yielded tens of thousands of net Democratic votes in 2020 swing states. One example is polling place vote tripling (PPVT). Dozens of major partners used it in 2020, including the Biden-Harris campaign, ultimately resulting in 94,000 canvasser-hours of PPVT that produced 1,100,000 relational conversations–for context, that’s 5x the 200,000 relational conversations the Biden campaign’s relational app produced. PPVT was featured in The Washington Post, The New Yorker, and The New York Times.
Our 2020 work served as a compelling ‘proof of concept’ that our PAC fills a clear need in the progressive ecosystem. Moving forward, we will work on problems beyond non-activist friend-to-friend voter turnout. Our 2021-2024 work will be a success if we design and mainstream one or more voter engagement innovations so widely that our work yields hundreds of thousands of net Democratic votes in the 2024 presidential election.
Note: Due to the nature of our work we are unable to hire any individuals who aren’t U.S. Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), or DACA recipients.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Reporting to the Director of Partnership Development, Kristina F. Bigdeli, the Senior Associate will play a key role in the success of the partnership development strategy for 2022. The Partnership Development Team is focused on building strong relationships with organizations that are well-positioned to benefit from our voter engagement tactics, organizations in both the progressive movement and in the nonpartisan voter education and turnout community.
You will work closely with our Director of Partnership Development, Deputy Director of Partnership Development, and our Partner Success Team to develop new partnership leads and opportunities to reach our ambitious partisan and nonpartisan impact goals in 2022 and 2024. We aim to support our partners in using our tactics (for free, and with no new tech) to produce hundreds of thousands of votes that wouldn’t otherwise be cast, in the states that matter most.
Depending on the time of year and needs of the organization, you will focus between 60% and 90% of your time supporting the core functions of the Partnership Development Team and the remainder of the time on a broad range of duties related to communications and marketing.
Note: We are dedicated to creating an organization that reflects the diversity of the country we serve. We strongly encourage women, people of color, and others who are underrepresented in campaigns to apply.
We intend to close this application by March 20th, 2022.
We expect to make an offer to a candidate within a month of the application closing, and would like to be the start date as soon as possible after the offer is made. The hiring process consists of the following steps. At each step, some applicants will be removed from consideration and notified if they are not moving forward:
- Resume and application questionnaire screen: This step is to establish the baseline for candidates we will advance through the process.
- Phone interview: This will be a more in-depth conversation with a member of the Vote Rev team, and might include answering scenario-based questions.
- Case study: An at-home assignment that you are expected to take less than 2 hours to complete. This gives us a chance to see how you think and see an example work product.
- Final interview: At least two and no more than four applicants will be called back for a set of final-round interviews with the Hiring Manager and other members of the Vote Rev team. You should plan to reserve up to three hours of your time during business hours for this final round, if you advance to this step.
- References: We will ask for two or three professional and personal references for our top one or two candidates to learn more about working with them before extending an offer.
- Job offer: We provide our best and final offer in terms of compensation. We do not negotiate salary or other benefits. While the start date is somewhat negotiable, we have a strong preference for candidates who can start as soon as possible.
Lead generation and outreach support and execution
- Support the Partnership Development Team in developing relationships with current and prospective high priority partners through scheduling and drafting communications
- Initiate conversations about Vote Rev’s value-add by sending personalized, strategic emails and cold-calling prospective partners
- Meet with prospective partners to generate interest in Vote Rev’s tactics, qualify leads as opportunities, and arrange meetings with the Partner Success Team
- Manage account information in CRM while maintaining data integrity
- Take excellent notes for yourself and others to support strategic meetings
- Assist with the refinement and streamlining of partner engagement processes
To help prioritize outreach, develop and implement strategic approaches to secure partnerships, and prepare other members of the team with background information in advance of meetings:
- Research organizations across the Democratic ecosystem, such as state Democratic parties, coordinated tables, U.S. Senate campaigns, PACs, and Democratic committees
- Research organizations across the voter education and turnout ecosystem, such as national, state, and local 501(c)(3)s and 501(c)(4)s, PACs, labor unions, and tables
- Stay up-to-date on the latest news, research, and reports relevant to the progressive and voter education communities, and in behavioral science research relevant to voter engagement
Communications and marketing
- Assist with the the development of core marketing materials across multiple mediums, including email, pitch decks, case studies, newsletter content, social media, website content, and speaking proposals
- Prepare content and materials for external meetings and speaking engagements (e.g. partnership pitches, briefings, decks, talking points, etc.)
- Assist the broader team with adherence to brand and core message integrity, including style guidelines
- Design and launch email marketing campaigns to prospective partners
- Recommend, implement, and maintain site design and operation using Squarespace
- Copyedit, proofread, and revise communications in accordance with brand tone
- Write op eds, blog posts, and other media content on occasion
Departmental support and general projects
- Coordinate scheduling, logistics, and meeting agendas for the Partnership Development Department
- Track and execute multiple projects concurrently and cross-functionally while following group timelines, troubleshooting roadblocks, and ensure all deadlines are met
Note: During GOTV periods, your role may transition temporarily to supporting partners’ tactical implementation through coaching and training, on the ground or virtual, in coordination with the Partner Success Team.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ROLE
- A minimum of 4 years of combined relevant work experience: in communications, marketing, fundraising, or creative writing experience; and in the world of political campaigns or advocacy organizations
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills as much of our work depends on listening, detailed note taking, responsiveness, building trust, following up, communicating clear next steps as well as the ability to follow projects through to completion and proactively communicating progress along the way
- Impeccable writing, editing, presentation, and oral communication skills, a persuasive and passionate communicator
- Self-motivated, eager to learn new things, and eager to take and implement feedback
- Team player skilled at managing up to leadership
- Excellent time management skills
- Experience working with a CRM such as Salesforce, EveryAction, or Copper
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE ORGANIZATION
- Commitment to the mission of the organization to design and quickly mainstream field-tested voter engagement innovations to help Democrats win
- Commitment to understand and actively oppose racism and promote equity
- Commitment to working with and for teams of diverse individuals, and, to reducing disparities in whose voice is heard in the electoral space
- Demonstrated awareness of one’s own cultural identity and ability to build relationships and collaborate across lines of difference
- Ability to thrive in a startup environment: you move quickly, think strategically, are adaptable to changing circumstances, and are good at tactical execution
PREFERRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- Subject matter expertise about today’s voter engagement tactics, such as canvassing, phone banking, and voter registration
- Meticulous online research capabilities, such as FEC reports and 990 filings
- Experience writing communications materials such as press releases, message guidance, branding materials, or talking points
- Experience working with MailChimp, Squarespace, and Figma
- Although all of our support is free, sales or campaign organizing experience is a plus and will increase your ability to succeed early in the role
- An eye for and experience in graphic design
REASONS TO LOVE THIS ROLE
- Opportunity to scale a startup: Vote Rev is at an exciting place in its history. We are building off a successful 2020 election cycle, but there is still a lot of work to be done scaling Vote Rev across the country. We hope you are excited about being scrappy, working across multiple departments, and learning as we grow!
- Novel blend of research and program: Research departments are often siloed from programmatic departments. That’s not the case at Vote Rev. Our Research Team works hand-in-hand with our programmatic team to design, evaluate, and scale innovations that address the most critical challenges facing the progressive movement.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation: based on years of relevant work experience, between $75,000 - $92,000 annually.
- Paid time off: All federal holidays, December 24th to January 1st, and your birthday are PTO. And each employee accrues two days of PTO each month (up to 24 days).
- Comprehensive medical, vision, and dental benefits: our medical plan option covers you with a generous PPO plan with a $1,000 deductible at no cost to you. In addition, we offer generous paid family medical/parental leave.
- Retirement benefits: after 3 months in the role, we automatically contribute 4% of your base salary to your retirement account every pay period (2x per month).
Vote Rev is headquartered in Los Angeles, CA, with employees across the country. Preference for Los Angeles-based candidates, but any candidate based in the United States will be considered. This role will entail travel every 2-3 months when Covid restrictions allow.
Due to the nature of our work we are unable to hire any individuals who aren’t US Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents (Green Card holders), or DACA recipients.
Women, Black, Indigenous, People of Color, People with Disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ people are strongly encouraged to apply. Applications will only be accepted electronically.
- Submit a resume to the application page in a common format (PDF preferred).
- Submit responses to short answer questions (in lieu of a cover letter) to the application page.
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Our hiring process will consist of this application, a phone screen, a brief skills assessment, and a series of virtual interviews with members of our team.
- Due to the nature of our work, Vote Rev is only able to hire US Citizens, DACA recipients, and Green Card holders. We are not able to sponsor work visas. By applying to this role, you are acknowledging that you are a U.S. Citizen, DACA recipient, or Green Card holder.
- Conditions permitting, this role will require frequent travel. All Vote Rev staff are required to be vaccinated and boosted against COVID-19. You will be required to provide proof of vaccination before being approved for travel.
- OPTIONAL (but encouraged!): Please listen to this podcast to familiarize yourself with our work, and also visit www.voterev.org/media for more resources if you are interested.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Vote Rev is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and various public health authorities and professional organizations, Vote Rev has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees must be fully vaccinated and boosted (once eligible) for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Vote Rev unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine. If you received the Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccines, you are eligible to get a booster at least 5 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series. If you received the Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccine, you are eligible to get a booster at least 2 months after receiving your J&J/Janssen COVID-19 vaccination.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The behavioral design engine for voter engagement tactics