Engineering Manager (Collector)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
The art market is the last major consumer marketplace to come online and, with over $30B in commercial inventory, Artsy is the first company to aggregate the lion’s share of it onto a single platform. Our Engineering team is central to unlocking the full potential of Artsy’s marketplace to enable connectivity across art buyers and sellers globally.
In support of creating a diverse and comprehensive global marketplace, we are currently seeking an Engineering Manager to lead a group of engineers who may be based in our office in New York or remote in the US. You will be responsible for acting as a hiring manager for future growth, cultivating and growing your reports, and leading initiatives to benefit the engineering team at-large.
Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor, technical lead and people manager within a strong technology organization. You're equally passionate about beautiful code as you are building inspiring products that users love.
Artsy’s collector product teams focus on fulfilling Artsy’s mission from the collector point of view. Responsible for the Artsy app, home page, and notifications, we aim to provide actionable insights to experienced collectors, guide new collectors expanding their horizons from the primary to secondary market, and of course welcome new collectors and art aficionados as they start their journey in the art world. You’ll report to the Director of this area and work with her and your peers to get stuff done.
What You'll Do:
- Set direct reports up for success in a distributed team organization — enable individual career growth, development, and business impact
- Leverage your impact by sharing your expertise via Lunch & Learns, blog posts, pair programming, mentoring, and other avenues.
- Represent and advocate for the engineering team in planning, product, and design meetings
- Facilitate constructive collaboration between teammates, business stakeholders, and peers
- Work with other Engineering Managers to align priorities and build consensus
- Help implement effective engineering processes and policies
- Contribute code, reduce technical debt and refactor —Own your dependencies by interfacing with open source community to solve problems when necessary
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- Solid team player because knowing how to be a good teammate requires soft skills & feedback and is the key to being successful in a matrix organization.
- You bring a diverse perspective, experience, and DNA to Artsy’s Engineering team and to decision making.
- Your ability to align, mentor and manage distributed teams will be a central part to success in this position. We intend to stay with the hybrid remote/office setup for the foreseeable future, so a collection of great Zoom filters is a must! Bonus points for bringing anything Artsy can adopt that makes remote work manageable.
- An open feedback culture at Artsy is central to how we work - you care deeply about giving and receiving feedback.
- Prior experience working in a matrixed engineering organization would help you draw parallels to how we work at Artsy, but is not essential.
- You are passionate about recruiting a world-class engineering team; bring a “servant leadership” style & approach to developing and empowering your team to achieve its greatest potential.
- Prior leadership experience — we don’t expect everyone to tick every bullet, but you should have domain expertise along some pillar we care about, whether that’s React, React Native, mobile, open source, or engineering management.
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. You will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feels resonance with Artsy’s vision along with its engineering principles.
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
- We have a transparent career ladder and support all team members with their aspirations and long-term goals.
- Focus on open source - you can read more on GitHub
- Opportunities to contribute to our podcast Artsy Engineering Radio, and conference sponsorship.
About Artsy Engineering:
Artsy's engineering principles are open source. We encourage knowledge building and sharing within the larger tech community through open source software, blog posts, and other free resources. Artsy would rather proudly discover (and improve) an existing tool than build it ourselves from scratch. Through our work, we try to create more value than we capture. That means that when we learn something new, we try to share that knowledge through blog posts and open source documentation. A successful candidate will bring their own unique perspective to help us achieve this mission.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.