Engineering Manager (Platform)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world. Artsy has created the world’s largest two-sided art marketplace, offering more than 1 million works by 100,000 artists from 4,000 leading galleries, fairs, auction houses, and institutions across 190 countries.
The art market is the last major consumer marketplace to come online and, with over $30B in commercial inventory, Artsy is the first company to aggregate the lion’s share of it on a single platform. Our Engineering team is central to unlocking the full potential of Artsy’s marketplace to connect art buyers and sellers globally.
In support of creating a diverse and comprehensive global marketplace, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to lead a group of engineers who may be based in our office in NYC or remote. You will have soft skills in order to contribute to our team culture and act as a hiring manager for future growth, cultivating and growing your reports, and leading initiatives to benefit the engineering team at-large.
Throughout your career you have committed yourself to products over multiple releases and shipped software as an individual contributor, technical lead and people manager within a strong technology organization. You're equally passionate about beautiful code as you are building inspiring products that users love.
Artsy’s Platform Engineering team is responsible for the infrastructure powering our marketplace and the tools equipping our engineers to ship best-in-class products quickly and safely. We strive to improve the team's velocity and the reliability, performance, and security of its products through shared tools and technology.
What You'll Do:
- Set your direct reports up for success in a distributed team organization — enable individual career growth, development, and business impact
- Represent and advocate for the engineering team in planning, product, and design meetings
- Facilitate constructive collaboration between teammates, business stakeholders, and peers
- Work with other Engineering Managers to align priorities and build consensus
- Help implement effective engineering processes and policies
- Make time to contribute code, reduce technical debt and refactor —*Own your dependencies by interfacing with open source community to solve problems when necessary
- Leverage your impact by sharing your expertise via Lunch & Learns, blog posts, pair programming, mentoring, and other avenues.
Who You Are:
We welcome you to apply regardless of “checking all the boxes” below, and are excited to hear what you can bring to the team.
- Solid team player because knowing how to be a good teammate requires soft skills & feedback and is the key to being successful in a matrix organization.
- You bring a diverse perspective, experience, and DNA to Artsy’s Engineering team and to decision making.
- Your ability to align, mentor and manage distributed teams will be a central part to success in this position. An open feedback culture at Artsy is central to how we work - you care deeply about giving and receiving feedback. Bonus points for bringing anything Artsy can adopt that makes remote work manageable.
- Prior experience working in a matrixed engineering organization would help you draw parallels to how we work at Artsy, but is not essential.
- You are passionate about recruiting a world-class engineering team; bring a “servant leadership” style & approach to developing and empowering your team to achieve its greatest potential.
- Prior leadership experience — we don’t expect everyone to tick every bullet, but you should have domain expertise along some pillar we care about, whether that’s data engineering, devops, infrastructure, platform engineering, open source, or engineering management.
- You care about delivering & building a reliable large-scale platform to provide a high quality experience to end users whilst mentoring & growing team members.
- Has strong opinions, loosely held. You will change our team, and our team will change you.
- Feels resonance with Artsy’s vision along with its engineering principles
What We Offer:
- Opportunity to reimagine the art industry while working with a talented, diverse, international team.
- Competitive salary and equity
- Flexible time off: we empower Artsy employees to take time off based on their desires and needs that matter most to them
- We are a distributed-first company where employees have the flexibility to work from home. Offices are available for employees in New York, London, and Berlin. (In-person recommendations, and location will vary by role)
- Comprehensive healthcare & benefit options, including: medical, dental, parental leave, short- and long-term disability, Employee Assistance Program featuring free mental health support, 401k, commuter benefits, flexible spending accounts (FSA), health savings accounts (HSA), financial wellness support & resources, and more
- Professional development, including: mentoring, lunch & learns, regular training, 1:1 management, and an open feedback culture
- Engaging opportunities and internal programming globally, to foster new relationships and build upon our collaborative community. Including: happy hours, holiday parties, global "All Hands" meetings, "Artsy Salon" (a yearly exhibition of our team's creativity), attendance to art world events, and more
- We have a transparent career ladder and support all team members with their aspirations and long-term goals.
- Focus on open source - you can read more on GitHub
- Opportunities to contribute to our podcast Artsy Engineering Radio, and conference sponsorship.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Artsy’s mission is to expand the art market to support more artists and art in the world.