This job is no longer accepting applications.
KickUp is looking for an Engineering Manager to join a team that is reimagining how school districts grow their most valuable asset: their people.
KickUp aims to empower educators by meaningfully engaging them in professional growth. Our platform helps educational leaders capture data about teacher growth and use it to drive better outcomes for students. We’re a growing team building a product used by tens of thousands of educators. Joining KickUp as a leader at this early stage means you’ll play a critical role in shaping our product, team, and culture.
About the role
As an Engineering Manager at KickUp, you will:
- Manage a diverse engineering team. You’ll support and coach the Software Engineers responsible for building and supporting our product suite, each with different experiences and at different stages in their career.
- Build engineering capacity. You’ll grow our team through hiring while developing right-sized team processes for our current stage of growth.
- Foster an inclusive culture. You’ll set the tone across the Engineering team and the broader organization while creating a collaborative environment where everyone’s voice is heard.
- Collaborate across functions. You’ll partner with Product and Design to define, plan, and execute on projects that push our product forward.
- Shape a growing organization. You’ll be the first Engineering Manager on the team — currently, all software engineers report to the Head of Product & Engineering. This role will lay the foundation for our engineering organization as we grow.
Some projects your team might be work on include:
- Adding new data visualization capabilities to our analytics platform to make it easy for end users to synthesize meaning from tens of thousands of data points.
- Building new features with best-in-class UX to streamline the workflows of teachers and the staff and administrators who support them.
- Optimizing API endpoints and database queries to handle ever increasing scales of data and usage.
We believe diversity breeds innovation. We’re building a product that improves the way all teachers and all students are supported, and to do that well, we need a workforce that’s representative of the users we serve. We are actively looking to add members to our team who will bring diverse backgrounds, new perspectives, and a willingness to challenge us to improve the work we do every day. We recognize that underrepresented groups may be less likely to apply to a role if they don’t meet 100% of the listed qualifications. We are committed to growth and we encourage you to apply if you meet a majority of the qualifications and this role is aligned with your career trajectory and interests.
You might be a fit if you:
- Have 2+ years leading an engineering team that ships and supports software in production.
- Have past professional experience building web applications and can leverage that experience for perspective when mentoring other engineers.
- Prioritize getting your team clear context, and will proactively ask questions to resolve ambiguity or misalignment.
- Possess a strong sense of empathy that allows you to build strong relationships in the workplace — both with direct reports and cross-functional peers.
- Are a strong written and verbal communicator, comfortable with both technical and nontechnical audiences, and have a bias towards transparency.
- Seek out opportunities to raise the bar for yourself and the organization — and encourage members of your team to do the same.
Why you should join KickUp
Our mission is to empower educator professional growth using data. Your work at KickUp will lead to system-level change in education.
Our team is humble, sharp, and user-focused with a unique blend of both mission driven and business smart qualities.
Our product is a dynamic professional learning and growth platform. It helps give educational leaders an actionable picture of their program's effectiveness.
Our culture breeds innovation through diversity. We want to add team members who bring diverse backgrounds, new perspectives, and a willingness to challenge us to improve.
This is a remote, full-time position that can be performed anywhere within the US.
The base salary range for this position is $130k-$160k with growth potential.
We offer stock options in our growing company, and a variety of medical, dental and vision insurance options. We also provide opportunities for professional growth including a $600 annual individual stipend for professional learning.
We believe in the importance of recharging and offer a flexible PTO policy. Most of our employees average between 15-20 PTO days per year in addition to 11+ paid company holidays. Our team also enjoys Focus Fridays — a day without Slack or meetings, to provide flexibility and focus time.
KickUp is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, KickUp will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your application has been successfully submitted.