Director of Micro-Internships
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Cornell Tech seeks a Director of Micro-internships (“Sprinternships”) who will oversee the Break Through Tech National Program Office’s coordination and replication of the “Sprinternship” program, a foundational component of the Break Through Tech Computing program. A micro-internship program for women early on in their computing studies, Sprinternships provide work experience and a tech-industry résumé credential that can help them land their first tech internship. Sprinternships are built around several common features: Tackling a real business challenge while immersed in a host company’s culture; Strengthening a professional network and connections in the tech community; Working in a team of peers to help build collaboration skills and confidence.
The Director of Micro-internships will work with partner organizations in New York, Chicago, DC, and Miami to ensure fidelity to the model, identify and share innovations to the model, and coordinate industry partner recruitment across the country. The Director will establish and maintain norms for collecting data and feedback from our employer partners, and evolve our data collection and analysis of student employment outcomes. In addition, this individual will play a critical role developing and implementing an expansion strategy to scale and evolve the program beyond the original Break Through Tech Computing locations.
The ideal candidate comes with experience leading mission-aligned programs with multiple academic and industry partners. More specifically, we are looking for a leader with deep understanding of program management and with demonstrated experience developing new program concepts and operationalizing those concepts at scale. This individual should have experience building and maintaining relationships externally with both corporate and startup executives and also has experience and knowledge in how to prepare students to be successful in professional environments. The ideal candidate enjoys highly cross-functional partnerships with frequent opportunities for feedback and learning, and is adept at fostering a collaborative environment and influencing others to achieve outcomes through relationships without positional authority. The ideal candidate has a deep understanding of the culture of the tech industry and nature of tech jobs, and possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and is able to independently and proactively “steer the ship” to stay on mission.
The Director of Micro-internships will report directly to the Senior Director of Break Through Tech Programs.
This is a full-time, benefits-eligible 5-year term position with the possibility of renewal. This position requires travel each month to program locations throughout the U.S. Working remotely within the United States, aside from travel, is allowable with an Eastern Time Zone daily availability.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
(1) Lead the direction and coordination of regional staff to deliver high quality Sprinternship experiences for hundreds of students across 4 cities annually (45%)
- Oversee the execution of Sprinternships nationally. Working with universities across the country, ensure fidelity to the model, reinforce and improve data collection and analysis, update and refine program documentation, and identify and codify innovations to the model.
- Promote and coordinate the Sprinternship program to national stakeholders. Be the public spokesperson for the Sprinternship nationally, representing the program, strategy, and opportunities for engagement. Solicit and steward big companies to participate in Sprinternships across multiple locations. Set up and maintain the systems and processes to nurture and scale corporate partnerships across sites and enable coordination of relationships for cross-site partnerships. Provide oversight and governance for use of Salesforce CRM to track Sprinternship stakeholders.
- Establish relationships and provide centralized guidance and support for Career Leads at host universities. Establish collaborative relationships with regional Career Leads across 5 universities nationally. Train new team members as needed and provide ongoing support.
(2) Lead the coordination and replication of Sprinternships nationally in multiple cities (45%)
- Program refinement and documentation of Sprinternship. Design and refine aspects of the Sprinternship model for implementation with a wide potential group of stakeholders beyond our current partner institutions. This may include codifying student preparation workshops, and designing on and off ramps to the program for students. Update all program documentation for use by an outside audience
- Collaborate on new business development proposals. Collaborate with Break Through Tech leadership on plans to expand Sprinternships and secure additional partnerships. This may include crafting pitches, building relationships, designing program modifications, etc..
- Oversee additional Sprinternship implementations. Oversee the implementation of any new Sprinternship partnerships or programs as they arise. This may include hiring and supervising addition staff as relevant.
(3) Develop and maintain relationships with central Program Staff, Break Through AI local teams, and corporate partners (10%)
- Partner cross-functionally with Break Through Tech National Program Office. Partner with Break Through Tech Leadership and others in the National Program Office to align Sprinternships across Break Through Tech industry-focused programs and industry engagement efforts writ large.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
an initiative of Cornell Tech