Senior Committee Support Manager
Senior Committee Support Manager
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Committee Support Manager to join our team, reporting to the Foundation Legal Director of Litigation. As the Committee Support Manager, you will be responsible for overseeing the Foundation’s staff support functions for several committees of volunteer Wikimedia editors. This will include overseeing logistical and strategic support for at least the Affiliations Committee, Ombuds Commission, Arbitration Committees, and the Case Review Committee. It will likely include the developing Global Counsel as well. In this role, you will work with your team to ensure that these volunteer committees have access to the support they need to operate smoothly. You will also be responsible for identifying complex issues and coordinating with other staff within the Foundation to provide support as necessary to address such issues. You will play an important role in ensuring that the hard-working volunteers who support the Wikimedia movement through these committees are able to meet their commitments with confidence and high engagement.
You are responsible for:
- Supervising staff managing daily operations support for volunteer community committees
- Managing medium to long-term staff support improvements in this workflow
- Developing team members in this workflow
- Meeting occasionally with the committees your staff support to understand their perspectives, their successes, and their challenges
- Identifying complex issues that require supplemental staff support and advising senior staff on the best prioritization of resources to meet those needs
- Collaborating with other members of the Foundation to provide necessary support as needed for individual issues
- Managing other committee support workflows as needed
Skills and Experience:
- Excellent written communication skills
- Skills or experience working with volunteer groups
- Skills or experience with collaborative planning and goal-setting
- Skills or experience managing or mentoring teams
Qualities that are important to us:
- Being able to track and organize large or multi-part workflows
- The ability to learn new things and experiment in response to changing circumstances
- Collaborative communication skills
- Active and empathetic listening skills
- Skill at prioritizing work from multiple sources
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with the Wikimedia projects, policies, and communities
- Experience working with individuals from different cultures and contexts
- Particular familiarity with Wikimedia movement governance bodies and processes
- Sensitivity in responding to and training others to respond to complaints about difficult or distressing topics.
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
Your application has been successfully submitted.