Fractured Atlas, the largest association of artists in the U.S., is looking for an amazing communicator and marketer to own the majority of the content marketing for our organization. As a steward of the Fractured Atlas voice, the Content Specialist will be responsible for communicating in ways that both empower artists and center our commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression principles. This commitment is grounded in our belief that change is possible, and that our work, and that of the artistic community more broadly, will grow stronger as oppression is eliminated. You will be responsible for attracting site traffic, converting that traffic into new members, and nurturing those members to greater success in their use of our programs and services.
The successful candidate will be someone who thrives in Fractured Atlasʹs ʺwork hard, live wellʺ environment. Our organizational culture embraces people who:
- Are curious and excited by opportunities to better our services, our systems, and ourselves.
- Seek out challenging problems and are comfortable with high-risk, high-impact efforts.
- Are agile, creative problem solvers with a focus on concrete results.
- Invest their time in quality work and giving others their respect and support.
Learn more about what it’s like to work at Fractured Atlas by visiting work.fracturedatlas.org.
ABOUT THIS ROLE
We are looking to bring on a Content Specialist to our team, to produce content that lets us communicate successfully with our members and the greater arts ecosystem.
We are looking to bring someone on who is a strong communicator, both externally to our audiences and internally with our team. We’re looking for someone who is independent, organized, and not afraid to ask questions (including the big, difficult ones). You don’t need to come from an arts background or a nonprofit background, we just ask that you are willing to learn about the industry. This role will be at the heart of the Fractured Atlas voice ensuring that it is serving our members and the larger arts ecosystem.
The Content Specialist role is part of the External Relations team and will report to the Director, External Relations. As for the External Relations team, we are nimble and collaborative. We believe in being good at our jobs, while not being subsumed by them.
We expect that this role will be 50% broader content creation (think writing blog posts, drafting up emails, and the sort), 30% focused on social media content, 20% communications (think brand alignment across teams, maintaining landing pages, communications with members about feature updates, engaging with the Creative Outpost-our online community, etc.)
MAJOR DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and implement a content strategy aligned with short-term and long-term marketing targets in collaboration with the External Relations team;
- Research, interview, write and publish a minimum of 2 - 3 articles per week on a variety of topics that are engaging to Fractured Atlas’s audience segments;
- Edit, proofread, and improve other writers’ posts;
- Optimize content according to SEO best practices;
- Use content management systems to analyze website traffic and users engagement metrics;
- Maintain an editorial calendar;
- Generate new ideas to draw the audience’s attention (bonus points if you make memes);
- Generate engaging ideas and campaigns to grow our social media presence in collaboration with the rest of the External Relations team;
- Work cross-functionally with other departments, including the Programs, FinPops (Finance/People/Operations), and Engineering teams in implementing marketing projects;
- Coordinate with External Relations Associate to distribute content to platforms to increase web traffic.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Has 2+ years of experience working in a content-creation or editorial capacity;
- Understands the value of content marketing;
- Has interview skills and is a curious and thoughtful listener;
- Possesses a team mentality. The External Relations team (if we say so ourselves) is energetic, innovative and straight-up fun. We work well together and are passionate about what we do;
- Be an excellent communicator and creative thinker with an ability to use data to inform all decisions; and,
- Bonus skills: HTML/CSS, Adobe Creative Suite, HubSpot.
EXTRA BONUS POINTS IF YOU:
- Have a background in writing or journalism;
- Excited about video content creation;
- Are passionate about independent artists, creatives, makers, and doers!
This position is U.S.-based and 100% virtual (with post-COVID travel about 1-2 times per year). You can live anywhere in the country but must be available to attend meetings during a 10 AM-6 PM EST window.
This is a full time exempt position. Salary is $63,750. Benefits include dental and medical insurance, flexible spending account, employer-contributed 401K plan, commuter benefits, professional development allowance, ticket and staff donation allowance for artist member projects, internet and cell-phone stipend allowance, workplace supplies allowance, paid vacation and sick days, paid family leave, and a casual but hard-working, friendly and supportive work environment.
To be considered for the position, please use our application portal to upload all the items below in one PDF-formatted file. (Please address materials to Sophia Park, Director, External Relations)
1) Answers to the following questions (max 200 words per question)
a. Why do you want to work at Fractured Atlas in this role?
b. Can you walk us through a piece of content that you produced (can be any medium) that you are really proud of and why?
c. Tell us about an article on the Fractured Atlas blog that you found interesting or surprising. What worked about it or how does it seem to fit into the larger goals and mission of Fractured Atlas?
d. What is something you are really passionate about?
2) A résumé no longer than (2) pages outlining your educational and professional experience.
3) Two (2) writing samples: One, approximately 500 words, describing a contemporary issue with both humor and accuracy, plus a second, longer (1000 words or more) writing sample of your choice.
4) A list of (3) professional references complete with phone number, email address, and explanation of the relationship. (References will not be contacted without your prior consent.)
Incomplete submissions—including those failing to follow directions—will not be considered, nor will submissions sent via postal mail or fax. No calls, emails, or social media pings, please.
Fractured Atlas is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity, equity, and inclusion. (Read more about our Anti-Racism and Anti-Oppression commitment.) We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
April 27, 2022. The submission deadline is May 17, 2022. Please note – incomplete submissions, including those that do not follow directions, will not be considered. Thank you!
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Igniting the art of progress