People Business Partner
All across the world, from the azure pools of Turkey and Oman to the travertine terraces of Yellowstone, our planet quietly pulls carbon dioxide from the air and turns it to stone. For eons, Earth has relied on this process to balance its carbon cycle. What if it could be harnessed? What if we could do it faster, in larger quantities, and at a low enough cost to make it an effective tool in the fight against climate change?
At Heirloom, we are turning that into reality. We use the natural carbon capture properties of abundant minerals to pull CO2 from the air, and store it permanently underground. We come to work every day to slow climate change, and are united behind a single, common goal - to remove 1 billion tons of CO2 from the sky by 2035, and to not stop before we get there.
We bring together the precise recipe of science, technology, know-how, and strategy necessary to make low cost, high quality carbon removal a reality. If we’re successful, we will directly mitigate climate change, build a world we can proudly hand over to our children and grandchildren, and catalyze an industry that will rival the largest the world has ever seen. If you want to change the planet, come join us.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Heirloom is committed to diversity and building an equitable and inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and experiences. We believe wholeheartedly that building a diverse company is critical to Heirloom’s success. We especially encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people, veterans, and people with disabilities.
As Heirloom’s second full-time People Ops hire, you’ll be a key part of crafting our People programs. You’ll report to Heirloom’s People Ops Manager and be a key member of the People Ops team--acting as a strategic partner, mentor, and advocate for employees at all career levels. You’ll be the point person on day-to-day people needs (onboarding, benefits, performance management, and beyond) and will use your experience and creativity to build systems and resources to allow people to do their best work.
You will play an integral role in shaping Heirloom’s culture as the company grows, ensuring that we have a strong foundation in place that prioritizes diversity, equity and inclusion and reflects our core principles--radical honesty, persistent optimist, and continual discovery.
What You'll Do
- Be a primary point of contact for our employees on day-to-day people-related needs, beginning at the offer stage and continuing throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Be a champion for Heirloom’s culture, partnering with the leadership team on initiatives to embed Heirloom’s core values of Radical Honesty, Persistent Optimism, and Maximizing Learning Rate into our culture.
- Work collaboratively with People Ops team to provide consistent and cohesive execution of people programs such as performance management, DEI initiatives, compensation/promotion cycles, and talent development.
- Be a trusted coach and advisor, helping our leaders work through challenges (big and small) and driving change within their organizations.
- Build scalable frameworks and manage workstreams to strengthen our People processes.
- Apply analytical rigor to dive deep and report on People trends, developing action plans to proactively address concerns.
What You'll Bring
- 4-7 years of experience in a relevant People Ops/HR role in a rapidly growing company.
- Strong and broad capability across HR competencies, including employee relations, analytics, performance management, coaching, organizational change, compliance, program development and org design.
- Strong emotional intelligence and ability to relate and empathize with people from different backgrounds.
- A passion for championing diversity, equity and inclusion across the organization.
- The ability to communicate clearly to a wide variety of audiences.
- The ability to work onsite in the Bay Area, but we are open candidates anywhere in the US.
You don’t have to have every listed requirement and skill to be a great fit - you may even teach us something about what we should be looking for! If you are passionate about this opportunity and think you have the skills to succeed, please apply!
- You have experience in a high-growth technology startup.
- Radical Honesty means we are open, transparent, and inclusive in everything we do. We aren't scared to challenge each other, but bring clear motives and our best intentions when we do.
- Persistent Optimism means we carry an infinite amount of optimistic energy with us on our journey, constantly chipping away at what may seem insurmountable.
- Continual Discovery means we maximize our learning rate. Compounding knowledge is our key to victory - we continuously hone our crafts, seek the fastest paths to new learning, and are quick to absorb new knowledge.
Why You Should Join Heirloom
- We are solving the engineering problem of our generation. Climate change is an existential threat, and we need as many of the world’s motivated minds as possible to help. There is no greater challenge or opportunity than fighting climate change.
- We have done this before. We’re engineers, scientists, and concerned humans from companies like Tesla, Apple, Plenty and Google, and Universities like Penn and Berkeley. We’ve built technology used by millions of people around the world, and we’re using that experience to build a more equitable, prosperous future for all.
- We are a united, resilient, and optimistic bunch. We are all here for the same reason - to slow climate change. We recognize the magnitude of the challenge ahead of us, and believe we can solve it. We can see a hopeful future where we eventually reverse climate change. It won’t be easy, but we won’t quit.
- We are backed by the best climate partners in the world. We’re well funded by investors from Breakthrough Energy Ventures, Ahren Innovation Capital, Carbon Direct, Microsoft, Lowercarbon Capital, ARPA-e and the National Science Foundation. Our early customers include Stripe, Shopify, and Klarna, and we’re building durable partnerships that enable us to tackle this decades-long problem.
Perks and Benefits
- Covered health, dental and vision. Health, dental and vision insurance covered by Heirloom.
- Generous parental leave. 16 weeks paid leave for all Heirloom employees, regardless of primary/secondary caregiver status.
- Generous stock options
- Flexible time off. Unlimited PTO for exempt (salaried) employees & 80 hours for full time non-exempt (hourly) employees.
- Stay healthy. Monthly health and wellness reimbursement.
- Learn on the job. Robust annual education and conference budget, including airfare and hotel costs.
Please note: while we appreciate all applicants, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted by our team.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Restoring balance to our atmosphere