Senior Product Designer
Design at Valon:
We’re a small, tight-knit team of product designers and content strategists building experiences that help homeowners easily manage their mortgages and empower our Servicing team members to provide amazing customer service.
We care deeply about what we do and why we do it. We’re sincerely invested in each other’s growth and well-being, and make it a priority that everyone feels invigorated, supported, and heard. We also love to have fun and be ourselves—you’ll often find us creating new Slack emojis, sharing updates about our families and dogs, snacking, and talking about shows that we’re currently obsessed with.
As the fourth designer, you’ll have a lot of influence on our design strategy and process. You will also help shape the role of design in the company and play an instrumental part in how we scale our team. We already can’t wait to meet you and welcome you to the team!
A portfolio is required for consideration.
Qualities we expect from all designers at Valon:
- User empathy and advocacy. You’re always striving to understand the perspectives and emotions of the people you’re designing for, through qualitative and quantitative methods. You are thoughtful when designing experiences to serve people who are experiencing frustration or distress.
- Strong communication and collaboration. You clearly explain your design rationale, share feedback with kindness and honesty, and actively seek to bring a variety of stakeholders into your design process.
- Critical thinking and thought partnership. You maintain respectful and trusting relationships with collaborators while applying independent thinking, questioning, and offering a countering view when necessary.
- Humble and growth-oriented mindset. You use mistakes as learning opportunities, are transparent about what you don’t know, and always strive to improve (as a designer and person). A healthy dose of optimism and curiosity is also important.
- Caring about the big picture as much as the pixel-perfect work. Before diving into details, you make sure to fully grasp the problem first.
- Excitement about working in a startup environment. You enjoy practicing ownership, can handle ambiguity, and care about maximizing the impact of your time.
Senior at Valon means:
- A track record of creating intuitive and elegant user flows despite working with complex edge cases, compliance considerations, and technical constraints.
- Planning and executing projects independently. You’re able to discover impactful problems to work on, prioritize or deprioritize work with little or no guidance, and determine when to cut scope if necessary.
- Shaping the vision for your product area using your domain expertise and understanding of how your product area’s efforts impact company objectives. You participate in developing your team’s roadmap, processes, and organizational plans.
- Regularly practicing leadership. You’re proactive about driving impactful initiatives forward, coordinating with others to resolve cross-domain challenges, and investing in others’ growth through actionable feedback and coaching.
- Thinking and designing at a system level, not just at a feature level. While solving a specific problem, you consider how it relates to similar problems in other areas and how patterns may be shared.
- Love for collaboration with, learning from, and growing alongside people on your team.
- A humble and growth-oriented mindset. You use mistakes as learning opportunities, and you always strive to improve as a designer and person.
- Care for the big picture as much as the pixel-perfect work. Before diving into details, you make sure to understand the problem first. While solving a specific problem, you think in systems and consider how you might extend patterns and behaviors.
- Excitement towards working in a startup environment and mindfulness of how to maximize the impact of your time.
- 5+ years of experience with product design
- A solid portfolio
- Experience working within the context of digital products
- Ability to balance methodological rigor with scrappiness and creativity
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Experience with the following is not required but is a big plus:
- Startup experience
- Familiarity with the mortgage landscape / financial systems
- Experience with both consumer tech as well as enterprise software
Your application has been successfully submitted.