Mission and Philosophy
The Shalom Hartman Institute is a leading center of Jewish thought and education, serving Israel and North America. Our mission is to strengthen Jewish peoplehood, identity and pluralism, and to ensure that Judaism is a compelling force for good in the 21st century.
SHI NA has an exciting opportunity for a motivated, thoughtful, organized, efficient, and detail-oriented individual to support the work of SHI NA’s New York based Operations, Office, and HR functions, as well as provide general administrative support to the organization as a whole. This position requires someone who has good judgement and communication skills, is highly organized and service-oriented, strong on follow-through, and can anticipate needs. The ideal candidate for this position will also have the ability to prioritize and complete multiple tasks with efficiency and excellence. The individual must take initiative in identifying problems and devising solutions, and must have strong interpersonal skills to help implement those solutions with good judgment, discretion, and tact. The Office Manager reports to the Director of Talent Development and Strategic Impact.
- Serve as face of SHI NA at front desk - front line on answering phones and door;
- Manage general office and kitchen orderliness and cleanliness, including plant care;
- Maintain and track office and kitchen inventory, ordering supplies when needed;
- Support set up and break down of conference rooms for meetings;
- Assist with preparations for board meetings, staff meetings, and staff retreats;
- Support with Credit Card Coding;
- Monitoring general info email mailbox;
- Coordinate with building staff and office vendors;
- Support organization as needed with general administrative projects, such as curricular order fulfillment or miscellaneous programs.
- Help new employees onboard, and support other types of employee cultural initiatives;
- Manage applicant tracking software;
- Support with job posting, organizational chart maintenance.
- Highly professional demeanor and customer service-oriented approach; mindful of appropriate correspondence tone with key stakeholders
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written
- Proven ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-energy environment
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by making appropriate decisions and knowing when to take initiative, and when to elevate problems
- Exceptionally organized and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple complex tasks
- Capable of working independently as well as collaboratively
- Flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and with shifting priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications
- 1-5 years of relevant experience
- Good sense of humor
Salary range and benefits
Estimated salary $55,000 - $65,000, commensurate with experience. Very competitive benefits package. SHI NA is an equal opportunity employer.
Please submit a resume and a cover letter as a single document here. The cover letter should include descriptions of positions with relevant experience as well as demonstration of successful expertise in the core demands of the position. No phone calls please.
We deeply value the diversity of insight, perspective, and experience brought by people from backgrounds typically underrepresented in Jewish institutions. The organization provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender expression, age, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, national origin, disability condition, marital status, status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other protected characteristic as established by law. In addition, the organization affirmatively seeks to advance the principles of equal employment opportunity as it applies to all policies and procedures relating to recruitment and hiring, compensation, benefits, termination, and all other terms and conditions of employment.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with The Shalom Hartman Institute. Due to anticipated high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Candidates who will be interviewed can expect a response within 3-4 weeks.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The Shalom Hartman Institute is a leading center of Jewish thought and education, serving Israel and North America. Our mission is to strengthen Jewis...