Education Reimagined - Chief Communications Officer
Education Reimagined is committed to the transformation of education in the US. We are guided by “A Transformational Vision for Education in the US.” This vision lays out a future in which learners are no longer asked to adapt to a standardized, one-size-fits-all education system; rather, they are recognized and valued as full human beings and supported to be confident, proud learners, leaders, and contributors to their families, communities, and society. We call this future of education “learner-centered.”
Education Reimagined’s mission is to make learner-centered education available to every child in the country, inclusive of race, background, and circumstance.
Right now, we believe our country stands at a unique moment where the conditions are ripe to invent and build a truly learner-centered system of education—one capable of equitably and powerfully serving our nation’s diverse youth and preparing them for the future they will inherit. We are dedicated to doing what it takes to catalyze that invention.
Over the last almost ten years, Education Reimagined has been finding, connecting, and building a powerful network of leaders with the shared vision, commitment, and drive to do it. Now, we are ready to step into a stronger leadership role to set the agenda for how we build our next educational system and attract the resources and attention necessary to move learner-centered education from the fringe to being a mainstream option for children, families, educators, and communities.
Learn more at the Education Reimagined website.
We are seeking a Chief Communications Officer to join an experienced, dynamic communications team and make a decisive difference in our ability to build Education Reimagined’s reputation as a known leader in the field and go-to source for those committed to education transformation. This person will lead and oversee the organization’s communication strategy, including owned media production, social media, media relations, and marketing.
This person will support the communications team to make decisions about what opportunities to pursue; establish plans to position the organization for thought leadership; oversee the communication staff and their operationalization of the communications plan; and direct an outside firm assisting with earned media by sourcing ideas, prepping internal and external stakeholders, and owning priority media relationships.
We are seeking a top-notch communicator; an adept strategist; an excellent project manager; and a natural connector and relationship builder. This person will engage in their work, internally and externally, with curiosity, open-mindedness, sincerity, and a strong desire for equal parts collaboration and independence.
The Chief Communications Officer will report to the President of Education Reimagined and have 1-3 direct reports. Preference will be given to candidates who are based in or can relocate to the Washington, DC area, although living in DC is not a requirement of the job.
- Collaborate with the team to conceptualize, develop, and implement an integrated strategic communications plan to advance Education Reimagined’s mission, goals, and programs; broaden awareness of its priorities; and increase the visibility of its programs across key stakeholder audiences.
- Build and oversee an experienced communications team. Create the conditions to ensure the team is maximizing its resources and talents to have the greatest impact in service of the organization’s goals.
- Oversee and support strategic and tactical message development.
- Actively cultivate, engage, and manage press relationships to ensure maximum coverage of Education Reimagined’s public announcements and thought leadership to advance the field of learner-centered education, as well as enhancing the organization’s relationships, contacts, and reputation with relevant media outlets.
- Plan and oversee thought leadership opportunities, including new and existing partnerships, speaking opportunities, media relationships, media profile pieces, social media accounts, or blog posts.
- Identify and manage owned media channels and prepare talking points, speeches, presentations, and other supporting material as needed, including media training for leadership.
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization, where relevant.
- 15+ years of professional-level experience in public interest communications and advocacy, with preference given to those with experience in non-profit communications. We also invite those with transferable communications skills built in other sectors or experiences to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to take ideas and information and transform it into exciting and useful messages and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies.
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills.
- A strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently.
- Relational approach to partnership development, media relations, and team building.
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels.
- Self-reflective and committed to personal growth and development, eager to learn and adopt new tools and/or ways of operating to support the team’s growth and performance.
- Passionate about Education Reimagined’s mission and eager to learn and delve deeply into what learner-centered education is and what it makes possible.
- Existing relationships with journalists and media outlets in innovation and education, a big plus.
- Washington, D.C. area preferred
Compensation is commensurate with experience; starting at $170,000. Education Reimagined’s compensation package also includes medical, dental, and vision coverage; generous paid time off; 17-19 paid holidays per year; a 401(k) plan; and a flexible work environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Education Reimagined is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining and promoting a workforce that reflects diversity at all levels of the organization. We encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, veteran status, marital status, disability (including mental disabilities, learning disabilities and history of disabilities), genetic information, record of arrest or conviction or any other basis prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.
Your application has been successfully submitted.