Senior Manager, Communications
Position Title: Senior Manager, Communications
Status: Full Time
Location: Flexible, Washington, DC preferred
JOB SUMMARY & KEY PRIORITIES
The Senior Manager, Communications will keep Active Minds content relevant and true to our brand guidelines, and help channel the voice of our mental health advocates while also amplifying our organization’s expertise in changing the social norms of mental health. This position will report to the Chief Development and Marketing Officer (CDMO) and oversee our Communications & Storytelling Manager and Associate, in addition to collaborating with other staff to tell the Active Minds story.
ABOUT ACTIVE MINDS
Active Minds is the nation’s leading nonprofit organization supporting mental health awareness and education for young adults. Through our presence in more than 1,000 high school and college campuses, communities, and workplaces, and with a wide-reaching public audience, Active Minds is creating communities of support and saving lives. Founded in 2003 by Alison Malmon after the tragic suicide of her brother, Brian, Active Minds is dedicated to supporting a new generation in ending the silence, helping to make mental health as highly valued as physical health. We approach our work with a racial equity lens and are committed to the continued process of being and becoming a more anti-racist and inclusive organization. Through our many programs, we are changing social norms and behaviors related to mental health across the country.
Network Communication & Engagement (50%)
- Manage the editorial calendar of the organization, with a focus on non-media and non-social media content distribution for organizational and program-specific goals (ex: email, blog, text, etc.).
- Manage a team of two Communications professionals responsible for content distribution (email, blog, texting, etc.) to timely and rigorous deadlines.
- Bring thought leadership to the segmentation of Active Minds’ audience, ensuring purposeful content delivery to meet their mental health culture-changing interests, needs, and capacities.
- Lead on creating and perpetuating strong and audience-appropriate voices for Active Minds, keeping the organization true to our reputation for communicating in an approachable way.
Executive Communications (30%)
- Partner with the Senior Manager, PR to build Active Minds’ position as a thought-leader in the industry, including drafting thought leadership content for Active Minds’ senior leaders for story-telling-focused platforms (ex. Medium, LinkedIn).
- Support crisis response efforts in tandem with the Sr Manager, PR.
- Draft the annual Impact Report with support from the CDMO and Development team.
- Draft speaking points for the Executive Director (and others, as needed).
Ambassador Program Management (15%)
- Lead cultivation and stewardship of our Mental Health Ambassadors, bringing clear and compelling calls to action monthly for our celebrity partners to amplify.
- Develop a brand ambassador program for emerging influencers and celebrities.
- Oversee the revitalization and growth of the Active Minds Amplifier program, open to all.
Additional Responsibilities (5%)
- Participate fully in Active Minds’ Anti-Racism and Inclusion plan, including serving on internal committees and continuing personal growth and knowledge gaining.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Natural people person who appreciates that everyone has an important story to tell.
- Talented writer and creative communicator, able to maintain and develop Active Minds’ approachable voice.
- Accustomed to working on multiple projects with different deadlines simultaneously.
- Ability to communicate effectively and enthusiastically in person, over the phone, and in writing, and with fellow staff members.
- Belief that equity and social justice are important and driven to hear, reflect, and act on this belief.
- Stickler for details and quality.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude who enjoys working proactively and thinking creatively.
- Advocate for social entrepreneurship and a believer in young people making an impact.
- 5-7 years of nonprofit marketing and communications experience, with a minimum of 1-2 years of direct management experience.
- Knowledge of and experience in managing nonprofit marketing and public relations efforts.
- Own existing marketing and media relationships, and/or a willingness to develop new connections for the benefit of Active Minds.
- Fully digital literate, including Microsoft and Google products, social media, and online meeting tools.
- Experience with CRM systems (ex. Salesforce) and other databases a plus.
Minimum salary for this position is $70,000 and comes with a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick time; paid federal holidays; health, dental and vision coverage; and 401(k) matching. The starting pay for this position is equal to others at the same level throughout the organization. Candidates whose experience meets both the minimum and preferred qualifications may be considered for a starting salary that exceeds the current amount.
Active Minds is a place where every employee matters. We value diverse perspectives, radical authenticity, and a community-driven approach. We dream big, offering flexibility to staff while we work to achieve our mission. As such, we are proud to offer competitive salaries and benefits and an environment that is friendly to remote working and work/life balance.
How to Apply
Please apply through this application form.
Active Minds is committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and welcoming workplace. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. It is important to us to reflect the communities we serve. Active Minds thus recruits, hires, trains, compensates, and promotes our staff regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Changing the Conversation About Mental Health