Hopelab - Head of Strategic Communications
Head of Strategic Communications
Do your best work here.
Hopelab is a nonprofit social innovation lab and impact investment organization supported by The Omidyar Group, founded by philanthropists and entrepreneurs Pierre and Pam Omidyar. Working across sectors and geographies, the Omidyars have contributed more than $3 billion to causes ranging from financial inclusion, to human rights, to government accountability, and press freedom initiatives.
Hopelab strives to help create a world in which young people, in particular BIPOC and LGBTQ+ teens and young adults, are thriving, free from barriers to their mental health and wellbeing. We take a systems approach by using our unique research and youth-centered design capabilities, our financial capital, and our networks to positively shift the systems impacting BIPOC and LGBTQ+ teens and young adult mental health. Hopelab does this through a model of: impact investing; advisory services to investees, grantees, and other partner companies and organizations; and development of applied research to innovate in the fields of youth wellbeing and digital engagement.
The Position: Head of Strategic Communications
Hopelab is seeking a dynamic and inspirational leader to join its leadership team as its Head of Strategic Communications. This visionary leader will be responsible for leading and refreshing communications, marketing, and storytelling efforts, as well as shepherding the organization’s strategy in collaboration with our CEO, Executive Vice President, and Chief Science Officer. As a key member of Hopelab’s leadership, they will report to the CEO and work with programmatic teams across our organization to build Hopelab’s credibility, expand its influence and reach at the intersection of tech and mental health, amplify the work of investees and partners, and continue to elevate the stories and experiences of young BIPoC and LGBTQ+ people.
They will oversee a wide range of communications and marketing responsibilities and projects – everything from developing an integrated communications plan for the organization, to a crisis plan for an upcoming product launch, to social media strategy, to narrative building and thought leadership, to finding the best opportunities to influence the field. Internal communications within Hopelab and across The Omidyar Group will also be part of this person’s responsibility. They will build, nurture, and lead a multi-disciplinary and high-performing team, including one internal staff person, fellows, interns, external consultants, and agency partners.
The Head of Strategic Communications must be a strategic and innovative thinker, oriented toward impact, and understand the roles science, politics, society, economics, the media, and culture play in making long-lasting change. They must have demonstrated commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion strategies that support Hopelab in achieving its vision for a world in which BIPOC and LGBTQ+ teens and young adults are thriving, free from barriers to their mental health and wellbeing.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
Strategic Communications Leadership
- Strategic thinking. Develop and own Hopelab’s strategic communications strategy. Work with programmatic teams across the organization to create, adjust and execute a strategic communications plan that builds Hopelab’s credibility and expands awareness and influence.
- Messaging and storytelling. Drive understanding, awareness of, and engagement with Hopelab through messaging that is understandable and resonant across a diverse set of stakeholders, including: investors, entrepreneurs, foundations, nonprofits, policymakers, researchers, young people, and staff. Tailor messaging by stakeholder audiences to advance Hopelab’s point of view, create differentiation among our peers, and drive different audiences to action.
- Brand. Oversee, refresh, and grow the Hopelab brand under our 2021-2024 strategic direction.
- Thought leadership. Work with programmatic leads across Hopelab to develop customized thought leadership strategies for building credibility and field-level influence.
- Initiative activation and promotion. Design and manage programs that increase engagement and awareness across a variety of platforms and communications touch points, including: media (print, electronic, and digital); social media; owned media such as websites, publications; sponsorships and speaking opportunities; and Hopelab events and convenings; and any other methods available.
- Events, conferences, sponsorships. Work with programmatic teams to strategize for, evaluate, plan for, and execute on the events and conferences that Hopelab could attend or sponsor.
- Liaison. Join a community-of-practice comprising the senior Marketing and Communications staff from across The Omidyar Group.
Organization-wide Leadership and Influence
- In collaboration with the CEO, Executive Vice President, and Chief Science Officer, and the rest of the leadership team, play a key role in strategy development, annual planning, resource allocation, program delivery, and management of the organization across multiple departments.
- Collaborate with others on Hopelab’s leadership team to shepherd organizational strategy.
- Provide strategic direction, coaching and supervision of direct reports.
- Champion and advance DEI strategies across the organization.
- Represent Hopelab in diverse external forums (from impact investing to mental health to research).
- Steward and role model the organization’s values and desired culture.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and spirit.
- A history of developing and delivering elegant solutions to complex issues and problems. An ability to turn uncertainty and ambiguity into bold ideas, and translate that to action in a clear and powerful manner.
- 15+ years of related professional experience, including public relations, policy and advocacy, brand management, advertising, content marketing, online marketing with demonstrated success serving in multiple leadership roles.
- A track record of defining, positioning, differentiating, and building strong brands.
- Proven ability to quickly establish trust and credibility with internal and external stakeholders and coalitions. Someone who is sought out for their opinions and counsel and who can forge and maintain close relationships across internal and external teams and members of the media.
- Highly collaborative and supportive style, with an inclination to partner with and assist colleagues in meeting objectives.
- Outstanding storytelling, writing, editing, and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing outside PR and creative marketing agencies.
- Excited to “roll up their sleeves” and do the work as well as manage and direct the work of others. Skilled at quickly composing and editing creative and business-oriented content with high standards on deadline.
- Deep curiosity about emerging technologies and how they can be harnessed for good.
- Solid networks in communications, media, research, think tanks, policy, and other related circles.
- Networks in the fields of science, health and health equity, technology, youth, impact investing and/or social innovation highly desirable.
- Understanding of and experience with public and private sectors; interest in and commitment to social change work.
Location: While much of our work is remote, our strong preference is that this role is based in the SF Bay area (or in the Pacific Time Zone) to allow for ad hoc in-person work with our CEO and other team members.
We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply. Hopelab is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, national origin, marital status, ancestry, gender identity, sexual orientation, or disability. All inquiries are held in strict confidence.
Interested candidates should apply by using the application form. Chaloner will review all applicants and, upon qualification, contact you to determine next steps.
Your application has been successfully submitted.