Assistant Director of Educational Events and Programs
Assistant Director of Educational Events and Programs
Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education
The Office of the Vice Provost for Graduate Education (VPGE) is a dynamic and fast-paced team that delivers programs to Stanford’s 9,000+ graduate students and 3,000+ postdoctoral scholars. We work collaboratively across the university with schools and other vice provost areas to enhance the graduate educational experience. VPGE supports programs, administration, and service to the university community and graduate students in five portfolio areas: fellowships and funding, professional development, diversity and inclusion, interdisciplinary learning, and academic guidance.
VPGE is searching for a skilled events professional for our team. Reporting to the Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Education, you will plan and execute events, programs, and workshops for the Graduate Professional Development portfolio, Stanford Graduate Summer Institute, and fellowship programs. You will thrive in an environment where you get to work both independently and as part of a team as you manage all aspects of events including marketing, websites, vendors, registration systems, data collection, and evaluation.
In support of the university’s flexible work initiative, this position may be eligible to be “hybrid,” working both from home and the Stanford main campus with the expectation of being onsite three to five days per week.
In this role, you will:
• Initiate and lead meetings with stakeholders to plan the scope and format of events.
• Manage budgets, venues, equipment, and facilities for specific events.
• Track and manage application data.
• Build and maintain relationships with internal and external partners.
• Procure and coordinate vendor services. Negotiate vendor contracts to minimize liability and risks.
• Provide recommendations for potential event locations and evaluate alternatives.
• Communicate with students, faculty, administrators, campus collaborators, and external entities such as visiting presenters, vendors, and officials for assigned events.
• Train junior event planners to execute and implement events according to university standards as well as occasionally oversee students and contingent event staff.
To be successful in this role, you will bring:
• Bachelor’s degree and three years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
• Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class license.
• Ability to frequently perform desk-based computer tasks and occasionally lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh 21– 40 pounds.
• Demonstrated success managing event teams and planning, developing budgets, and meeting budgetary goals.
• Excellent project management skills, and the ability to manage complex timelines and multiple projects by establishing priorities, managing shifting priorities, and handling numerous time-sensitive projects with multiple deadlines.
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, time management, and customer service skills with internal and external partners.
• High level of confidence in making strategic decisions, good judgment, and creative problem-solving skills.
• Ability to interact and successfully collaborate with a broad spectrum of contributing groups such as students, staff, and faculty from different university offices.
• Knowledge of word processing programs, spreadsheet tools, and cloud-based collaboration applications.
• Ability to quickly learn software related to surveys, application platforms, customer relationship management, website content management, and design tools.
In addition, preferred qualifications include:
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, File Maker Pro, and Google Workspace.
• Knowledge of Qualtrics, eResources, MailChimp, Drupal, and Adobe Creative Cloud.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
• Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
• A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time off, and family care resources.
• A healthier you. Climb our rock wall or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
• Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
• Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more
The job duties listed are typical examples of work performed by positions in this job classification and are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary depending on department or program needs without changing the general nature and scope of the job or level of responsibility. Employees may also perform other duties as assigned.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the university will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply: https://apptrkr.com/3606707
Your application has been successfully submitted.